It is with great humility that I write now of all the goodness that has come my way.
After a brief scare…my excellent health has returned and I am stronger than ever!
I am blessed beyond my imagination…which is a sure sign that God has had a hand in all this!
I also must give credit to you all for your prayers and good thoughts for me!! Vinaka Vakalevu!! (thank-you so much!!)
After four months without a work site or home….on my 60th birthday …Peace Corps was to tell me where I was to go next. The possibilities were: sent home to America, Ministry of Women in Lautoka, or M.O.W. in Suva, Taveuni (the most beautiful and remote island in Fiji) or Natabuka(a village on this main island-to live in a bure). All the sites were good possibilities, they all knew of me( Fiji Times Article about my sewing workshops) and wanted me. The problem was finding housing for me-that is the host village or organization’s responsibility. The March 25th deadline was set and I was told to start packing to go home. Another volunteer was just sent home…we were both on administrative leave and PC could no longer hold us there. I had great faith that God would send me where I was most needed. So, on March 22nd, I proceeded with my next sewing workshop-this being the sixth and largest. I knew that even if I were going home…that this would be the best use of my final days here. Forty-five villagers attended..including eight men!! We fixed more than 20 sewing machines and even had a class for the ‘too-cool-for-school’ young men! Two of those guys stayed on to become excellent at repairing the sewing machines. My PC friend (who lives in this village) and I plan to sponsor one of them in a technical college here. I was pleased to tears and on the 25th proceeded to a beautiful backpacker/resort to celebrate my birthday…and whatever news came down. I met my best friend Urji there and we waited for ‘the News’… By 5pm I was texted that Ministry of Women in Suva had found me a house!!!
Of all of the choices this was the best! It turns out that the Permanent Secretary found out about my workshops and ‘made it happen’..ie a house and a primo position in the Ministry!
My home is in one of the best areas of Suva(Fiji’s capital)… country side…like a jungle… but a 30 minute walk to the center of town…and a 5 minute walk to work!! Only three of us work in this beautiful big house -air conditioned…big kitchen..and a big room for me to conduct exercise classes on our lunch break! My direct supervisor is actually the person who found my house..and is dear Fijian woman!!
My home is huge! All to myself…actually embarrassing…because 80% of our volunteers live in very hard-living conditions…but when they come to Suva they can stay with me. I have two bedrooms and a den, a big/deep bath tub, a big living room, dining room and a kitchen with a walk in pantry. Complete with a stove, refrigerator and hot water… and a separate maid’s quarter!! I’m completely tucked away up a small street. The outside is a Garden of Eden! There are several papaya trees, coconut, and mango trees and exotic plants that are huge!! My supervisor -Asilika and her family , my neighbors and their five grown kids and my friend Urji helped me clean up and sort through the previous tenant’s junk…a long and messy job that we all completed in three days! My neighbor ( a policeman!) cut down a lot of the overgrown brush and made a way to their house so we can see and hear each other.
My work is to continue with conducting sewing classes ALL around Fiji!! China ,India and LDS have donated 1600 treadle and singer/hand crank sewing machines with more to come. Most of them have been distributed , so I will travel to them to help assemble , operate and maintain them and teach the ladies how to sew! They have me booked through December..including one three week trek to the interior of this main island. The only way to get around these villages is by horseback…my 20 yr old mind said great…but after all this moving and cleaning…my 60 yr old body said…let’s re-visit this horseback deal..! When I teach these workshops all of the participants are on the floor and I walk around sitting then up & down…I an exhausted by the end of the day. So the thought of then getting on a horse (no saddles!) …is giving me pause…we will rework that trip!
One prayer I’ve repeated…for the last ten months… is for transport…it is so hard to get around with no car…well the Ministry Of Women transports me to all these sites…providing …boats, planes, cars, trucks and, yes, horses!
I tell you all this ...NOT to boast…but as a witness to God’s abundance… my only task was to hold strong to my faith in Him and receive all of your prayers and support! I cannot begin to say how grateful I am for this abundance…I will do you and Him proud by continuing to serve these beautiful Fijian people for the next seventeen months! Pictures to follow!!!!
No comments:
Post a Comment