Tuesday, June 15, 2010
Made the Fiji Times!
I found a place with Wi Fi!! Still not much time to type..but at least I can type at home and send this to you. Our training is going great..still 6 days a week then usually 3-6 hours at church or family function on Sunday. I went from have 100% of my time as my own to almost none … but still I am adjusting and happy most of the time. I still feel it is an honor to be here with the Peace Corps! And to be immersed in a culture and language- learning SO much more than if I were traveling through!!! I am learning that Fiji has a very complex culture and hierarchy system. Although women do most of the work-household and ( in many cases-income)..they are progressing- as a culture. My host family has broken away from the village (even though he is from a chief family and in line to be chief). They live in an urban home –that they own-a five minute walk into the city. My ‘dad’ works for the electric company and has for 15 years now. He makes a good living and his wife stays home to care for the home and children. She is also a hair dresser on the side. With their two dear children Sam-14 and Charlotte-10, they have a very loving happy home. They spend all of their evenings together-doing home work and playing cards. There is much laughter and love in this home…it is a real healing for me. I feel I have been given a second chance at a happy childhood -with a healthy, respectful, trustworthy, humble and kind father and husband to Pearl(mom) My little sister has given me her room and her telephone to use for these six month! How many American 10 year old girls would willingly and lovingly do that?!
To describe my days here would take too long…I rise around 7am and go to bed (exhausted) by 9:30pm. Last week while we were in language class…we were distracted by the most beautiful harmonized Handel’s Messiah…sung by a school choir- across the street. We went out to watch them expecting to see 60 or more singers…there were only 20 of them in their teens!!! A few of us were so moved we were crying!!! Our teacher had been their teacher and explained that they were singing for an elderly song master who was wheelchair bound at home!
That same day were we watching a mongoose (looks like a cross between a rat and a squirrel) in the yard. Our teacher said that some people eat them. Which begged the question- “have you?” She replied –yes…which begged the question –“what does it taste like”. Her reply- “Like bat”.
The bats around here are the size of seagulls….
We’ve been here four weeks and have already made the news! Eleven of us danced the traditional meke
dance for about 400 -500 people at a festival in our town- Nausori. The head chief ..who is called a
Princess- liked it so much that she asked us to perform it again at another ceremony next week!
Our Peace Corps staff taught us the dance and had costumes made ..in less than a week!
Check it out on line- Fiji Times- Saturday, June 12th (www.fijitimes.com.fj) My picture is on page three!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment